Originally formed in 1714 to commemorate the actions of the 13 Apprentice Boys that shut the gates and is the oldest of the Parent Clubs.
The Club was reformed by Benjamin J. Darcus and was known as The Apprentice Boys, in 1814. A few years later two new Clubs were formed, but no official name was given to them
In 1935 The Apprentice Boys of Derry Club is described as the oldest of the present organisation. The earliest record of initiation is shown as 1883, unfortunately however all records prior to this were inadvertently destroyed by a former secretary. The oldest branch is Lurgan and the youngest Desertmartin branch.
Some of the events recorded in the minutes are as follows: –
In 1865 Rev. Canon Dougherty of Buncrana presented the following gifts to the Club.
Framed picture of William and Mary with her declaration to Parliament.
A snuff box belonging to the Rev. George Walker; Governor.
Two brass canons and a model of Governor Walker’s monument in the original style when built.
Here are a few extracts from the Minutes of the Club: –
An account from Kerr and Company, London Street for 500 envelopes – cost three shillings.
In 1926 a letter received from the Glasgow Branch of the No Surrender Club asking for a return of transfer fee.
Letter received from J. Barrington Baker (descendant of Colonel Baker) asking the Club to accept the photo of Colonel Henry Baker, one of the defenders of Derry.